£40,000 - £50,000 plus benefits
29 days ago
A growing Building Society is looking for a motivated Underwriting Manager to lead their Underwriting operations.
Managing a team of 4 and reporting directly to the CRO, you will take full ownership of the underwriting and complaints processes and a big part of your remit will be to lead and motivate the team to drive a positive customer outcome.
Note: The business is really flexible with your working arrangement. Should you wish to come back into the office post-Covid, the door is open. Should you decide that you working from home has significantly improved your quality of life, then you can do that. Should you choose to work remotely, you will only have to come into the office in Essex once or twice a month.
Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Lead, manage and motivate the team to ensure SLA's & KPI's are achieved on a daily, weekly & monthly basis while maintaining quality in both decisions and process in line with the company's risk appetite Underwrite and decision mortgage applications ensuring exceptional customer service delivery, whilst complying with all regulatory and conduct risk in adherence to lending policy and ensuring fair outcomes for customers
- Undertake first line of defence checking and report results to the CRO Provide SME underwriting knowledge for the team with regard to Lending Policy & Procedures.
- Act as a point of expertise to the team, advising on technical, product, policy, procedural and intermediary issues
- Proactively identify, manage and support departmental improvement & change to reduce processing times, improve service while ensuring quality of decision making while working with Key Stakeholders.
- Support the team needing higher mandate approval and underwriting when required Authorising within own approved mandate mortgage advances or preparing cases for referral to Credit Committee for approval.
- Production and sign off of mortgage offers for lending within mandate once full supporting documentation is in place.
- Deliver effective performance management across the whole team to include documented 121's & team meetings on a regular basis Accountable for first line of defence maintaining Quality Assurance framework and records
- Maintain an up to date working knowledge of products and policies, and assist in implementing changes in line with our risk appetite
- Take individual responsibility to remain well informed of regulatory, legal and market trends.
- Ensure self and team comply with all relevant Society and regulatory obligations.
- Assist in the continued improvement of the originations system, processes and procedures Ensure that all complaints are handled in accordance with the Complaints Handling Procedures referring to appropriate departments as and when appropriate delivery of any changes to the system or processes
- Ensure responsibilities regarding Treating Customers Fairly, the Prevention of Financial Crime (including AML, identification and reporting of fraud) and responsible lending are carried out effectively and in accordance with the Company's policies
- Growing knowledge of mortgage product and bespoke underwriting capability with an emphasis on understanding all products and criteria Self-Management and Control
You will likely:
- Be an analytical thinker who can quickly identify problems and has unwavering attention to detail
- Have some relevant experience in similar lending/retail banking environments
- Have the ability to analyse complex financial statements and are able to manage systems that drive lending decisions
- You are a team player and comfortable leading and motivating a team day in day out