A growing Building Society is looking for a motivated Senior Underwriter to join their Underwriting operations.
Reporting into the Underwriting Manager, alongside a team of 4. You will be able to provide effective assessments and underwriting of the mortgage business, ensuring customer care standards and service levels are maintained whilst mitigating risks and operating within a highly regulated environment.
Note: The business is really flexible with your working arrangement. Should you wish to come back into the office post-Covid, the door is open. Should you decide that you working from home has significantly improved your quality of life, then you can do that. Should you choose to work remotely, you will only have to come into the office in Essex once or twice a month.
Some of your key responsibilities will be:
- Mortgage Processing and Underwriting
- Timely lending decisions which ensure the Mortgage Originations Team exceed agreed SLAs.
- Demonstrate prudent lending decisions which assist in the achievement of a NPL ratio in line with the Society’s risk appetite
- Take individual responsibility to remain well informed of regulatory, legal and market trends.
- Comply with all relevant Society and regulatory obligations.• Carry out any additional tasks and / or work on any additional projects as requested by the Underwriting Manager, Chief Risk Officer (CRO) or any other member of senior management or credit committee.
- To actively pursue efficiencies in process to ensure the continued improvement of productivity and quality and service offered to customers referring these to the Underwriting Manager
- Authorising within own approved mandate mortgage advances or preparing cases for referral to Credit Committee for approval.• Production and sign off of mortgage offers for lending within mandate once full supporting documentation is in place.
- To fully document and give sound business reasons for proceeding, presenting a case to the Credit Committee where necessary.
- Delivering a “Best in Class” service which includes keeping the customer informed of any delays or issues surrounding mortgage applications.
- Subject Matter Expert and in particular a Specialist Underwriter for the Special and Bespoke Products that the Society offers
- Managing and maintaining the integrity of the mortgage book by lending within mandates and guidelines laid out in Policy and Procedures and contributing to Society business targets by:- Speedy and accurate processing within policy and mandate- Maintenance of documentation and notes- Competent underwriting and risk assessment- Ensuring that all lending/mortgage administration and enquiries are handled in accordance with Society Policy & Procedures and the Mortgage and Building Society Sourcebook.-
You will likely:
- Be an analytical thinker who can quickly identify problems and has unwavering attention to detail
- Have some relevant experience in similar lending/retail banking environments
- Have the ability to analyse complex financial statements and are able to manage systems that drive lending decisions