MERJE are partnered with a fortune 500 company with over 60 offices in 20+ countries. They are a holding company for insurance, reinsurance, specialist advisory and investment operations around the world.
The specialist division of Incentives & Reliefs, based in Sheffield, is one of the UK’s largest specialist R&D tax advice providers and has a technically strong team of Chartered Tax Advisers, Chartered Accountants and ex-HMRC Inspectors. The team also provides other tax consultancy services including work on Patent Box, Grant Funding, Creative Industries Tax Relief and Capital Allowances. Following a rebranding of the business, and as part of an exciting development plan, the team is expanding and we are looking for highly motivated individuals with outstanding interpersonal skills who are able to convey complicated tax advice to their clients.
Your new role:
The aim of the Incentives & Reliefs Development Consultant role is to provide two key functions, the first is to manage and develop a portfolio of accountants, working with them to identify and act upon areas of opportunity. The second part of the role involves working with the businesses identified to help them make a claim for the relevant tax relief.
Reporting to a Tax Manager based in Sheffield the role will involve:
- Managing a wide and varied UK based client and accountancy practice portfolio.
- Actively developing new relationships with UK-wide accountancy firms and maintaining existing relationships.
- Identifying relevant clients from accountants who may benefit from our services.
- Presenting to accountants, clients and other suitable audiences.
- Attending client meetings and documenting the R&D undertaken in the relevant financial period.
- Documenting and analysing client R&D expenditure.
- Preparing corporation tax computations whilst advising clients on the most tax efficient way to utilise the tax reliefs being claimed.
- Providing HMRC with detailed technical and financial reports of client activity and dealing with any follow up communication as required.
- Overseeing and developing junior members of staff.
Technical skills / Knowledge / Experience
- The role involves face-to-face meetings with both accountants and clients so the applicant should have client facing experience and the ability to discuss potentially complex tax matters in a simple way.
- The successful candidate will have a willingness to work across the country covering different areas – it is not expected that the role will involve just one particular region or area (eg ‘the north’ or Wales).
- Due to the role involving the preparation of detailed technical reports, outstanding written English skills and strong numerical competence are essential. Examples of prior report writing experience essential.
- The ideal candidate will be a recently qualified PhD scientist/engineer, finance professional or part qualified tax or accountancy applicant will also be considered.
Your Pay & Benefits:
A highly competitive salary in conjunction with market leading benefits that include:
- Pension contribution up to 12% (4% employee contribution)
- Life assurance:
- Income protection
- Personal accident insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP):
- My Family Care (MFC)
- Health assessment: current provider is Bupa
- Private medical insurance
- Virtual GP
- Dental insurance
- Travel insurance
- Holiday entitlement: Standard holiday entitlement is 25 days per annum. Option to buy or sell holiday up to 5 days per year.
- Season ticket loan: interest free loan.
- Other wellness benefits such as eye tests and costs towards any glasses purchased.
Please note, should you not receive feedback within 28 days, unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. However, we may be in touch with similar relevant opportunities.