up to £1,250 per day
6 months ago
Exceptional opportunity to play a key role in the executive management of this established bank, helping to steer the future direction and with the executive responsibility for the strategy and direction of the mitigation and management of the risks of the Bank. The role will hold Senior Management Function (SMF 4) the Chief Risk Function. This is a PRA-designated function.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work proactively with the Board and Executive in developing and implementing a Risk Management Framework that provides an efficient and flexible risk-based approach to identifying, reporting and monitoring on risk across the bank and to manage unplanned events. The framework will need to cover all principal risks faced by the bank including (but not limited to) Operational, Strategic, Conduct, Credit, Market, Compliance (Regulatory) and Prudential risks
- Defining, directing and monitoring the risk appetite framework of the bank, ensuring the Board understands the risks of the firm and that the Board’s messaging relating to responsibilities for Risk management is cascaded. Where change may be required ensuring that the Bank complies with all relevant legal and regulatory requirements.
- Ensure the risk appetite and culture is embedded within the organisation and appropriate limits, escalation and reporting is established via competent teams across all risk disciplines within the bank.
- Provide strategic and forward looking Risk, Compliance, Credit, Market, and Fraud reporting to the Board and Executive Management, identifying whether risks are being adequately controlled and where future issues may arise; and identify potential solutions. Identifying whether there are any thematic risks arising across the organisation.
- Proactively identify changes to Conduct and Prudential (in conjunction with the CFO) Regulations and inform and advise the Board of the potential impact to the organisation.
- Develop, implement and maintain an effective Risk management framework enabling risk and control effectiveness to be assessed and monitored across the bank; and to ensure that appropriate corrective action is taken as necessary.
- Develop and implement a compliance monitoring framework to ensure the bank remains compliant with current regulatory requirements.
- Make a positive and effective contribution to the Executive Committee, providing input into the development, presentation and implementation of the strategic and annual business plans specifically where risk exposures may change. Provide an appropriate level of challenge to and act as the ‘risk conscience’ of the Executive Committee on all strategic and commercial matters.
- Member of the Executive Committee, ALCO, Risk Committee, Credit Committee, and as necessary, Transformation Committee. Attendance of any other forum which the CRO considers necessary.
- Lead and manage the production and delivery of annual ICAAP (in conjunction with the CFO), ILAAP (in conjunction with the Treasurer) and RRP submissions to the Regulator and manage the resolution of issues (i.e. RMP’s).
- Maintain and develop the Governance framework to ensure that the Bank has a control and authority structure that demonstrates it acts with integrity in its dealings with customers and the markets it engages in and report appropriate MI to evidence this.
- Manage the effectiveness of the Risk functions, under direct management control, ensuring they have the necessary resources, skills and experience identifying any training, recruitment, or secondment requirements from other parts of the organisation or co-sourcing with external third parties.
- Effectively manage the Management Credit and Operational Risk Committees for the CEO.
- Establish a coordinated assurance approach with Internal Audit.
- Build relationships with internal departments, FCA/PRA, regulatory agencies, external trade bodies, outsourced functions and senior compliance staff of other product providers.
- Consider the impact of activities, projects and risks to the Bank’s reputation and ensure appropriate mitigation
- Supervise, mentor, develop and motivate direct reports, providing technical expertise to ensure they know what is expected of them, maximise their performance and develop their potential.
- Lead, manage, develop and motivate people to ensure they know what is expected of them, maximise their performance and develop their potential.
- Have the gravitas and interpersonal skills to quickly build effective relationships within the organisation and gain the respect of the Executive, senior management team and the Board.
- Experienced management and leadership in Credit, Risk and Compliance, likely to be gained through significant experience in a senior risk and compliance role, managing regulatory functions within a retail banking or similarly regulated Financial Services environment
- Significant experience of credit risks associated with financing retail and commercial property
- In depth technical knowledge and practical experience of risk management methods and PRA/FCA regulation and regulatory processes
- Commercial, business focussed with strong judgement and integrity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, strong negotiation and influencing skills, calm and diplomatic
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to inspire and motivate staff from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels and gain the respect of colleagues at all levels of the business.
- Team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Builder of positive relationships with a collaborative style used to achieve organisational goals.
- Able to create an open environment and inspire others to contribute.
The role is being recruited for on an interim basis initially and they are offering a competitive day rate which is entirely commensurate with experience but reflects the significance of the role.
Please note, should you not receive feedback 28 days, unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. However, we may be in touch with similar relevant opportunities.