Commercial Liability Claims Handler
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
Permanent - Fulltime
Location: Manchester (Hybrid)
Responsible for the validation, investigation, negotiation and settlement of multi-branded commercial liability claims, proactively managing the end-to-end process of all third party claims. Establish and maintain accurate claim reserves within your own financial handling authority whilst controlling the overall expenditure throughout the lifecycle of the claim.
Liability Claims Handler Responsibilities:
- Triage of new Liability Claims encompassing Employers Liability, Public Liability and Property Liability Claims, validating policy cover, undertaking full investigations of claims giving consideration to complex injury triggers, liability and fraudulent claims. Robust control of indemnity, identifying the correct area of policy cover and the limits there in whilst having a clear understanding of when repudiation is required and the process to be undertaken.
Effective gathering of information/desk-based investigations to enable early arrival at the correct liability decision giving consideration to both economic settlement and commercial considerations.
Settle Third Party Claims within financial handling authority, up to a value of £50k, through active negotiation to achieve the optimum claims settlement using department and best practice strategies, whilst at all times giving appropriate consideration to avoidance of unjustified litigation.
A practical understanding of all regulations (existing and new) relevant to each type of claim, such as The Six Pack Regulations for workplace claims, the Defective Premises Act , Occupiers Liability Act 1957 and Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 for Public Liability and Property Owners Liability cases. In addition, the ability to establish where there is a Common Law Duty of Care/ Vicarious Liability. Also a practical knowledge of MOJ is required, as is an ability to deal with cases emanating from both Scotland and Northern Ireland with their differing legal frameworks.
Handle and deal with all Low Value Pre-Action Protocol injury (MOJ Stage 3) litigation up to the portal value of £25,000 within court deadlines, liaising with Counsel as appropriate. Refer all other litigated cases (non MOJ) requiring legal intervention to our Panel Solicitors.
Manage and own the customer experience (including third party), ensuring adherence at all times to the principles of Treating Customers Fairly, highlighting where you do not feel our processes support contribution to the overall success of the business
Manage and maintain effective relationship with both internal (Counter Fraud, Underwriting etc) and external stakeholders (Rehabilitation providers, medical experts, Counsel, Forensic Accountants, Brokers, Panel Solicitors etc) to ensure adherence to internal and external policies, procedures and governance.
Proactively identifying trends and using relevant data and information to understand and promote emerging issues, maintaining an awareness of solicitor behaviours and changes in relevant legislation to understand the marketplace and claims handling approaches, provide suggestions for improvements
Identify, own and manage the risks involved in running our business appropriate to my role, in line with the risk framework.
What we're looking for:
- A passion for delivering excellent customer service for both direct customers and Brokers.
- Experience in applying policy wording, legal principles, regulations, and acts.
- Experience managing Injury claims within the Employers Liability (EL) and Public Liability (PL) domain.
- Experience managing Third-party Property Damage (TPPD) claims .