£180,000 - £220,000 + Bonus + Benefits
3 months ago
MERJE has been formally retained to recruit for the following role.
My client is a market leader in their chosen field. Since its founding, a combination of organic growth and acquisitions have played a major part in the company’s progression to its current standing in today’s market.
As part of this exciting evolution, the organisation is now looking to appoint a Chief Risk Officer to oversee and monitor the effective management of risks within the Group, to enable entrepreneurial leadership within a framework of prudent and effective controls which enables risk to be assessed and managed.
Reporting to the CEO, you will attend the Board as required to discharge your risk and compliance responsibilities. The role will also be an FCA approved person for SMF 17 (MLRO) under the senior management regime.
Key responsibilities include:
- To be accountable to the Board for oversight of the risk management framework for the group.
- To provide oversight and challenge of the groups systems and controls in respect of risk management.
- To challenge the Board on, any business strategy or plans that exceed the groups risk appetite and tolerance.
- Develop, implement and maintain a robust risk management framework and strategy covering all areas of risk, Operational (including Information Security and Health and Safety), Insurance, Conduct and Regulatory, to ensure the group manages its business within risk appetite and meets regulatory requirements.
- Develop and implement a programme of risk management training and awareness to ensure a robust risk culture throughout the group.
- Develop and maintain written policies and procedures to identify, manage and control key risks for all defined risk categories.
- Develop and maintain the three lines of defence framework to provide assurance as to the adequacy of the control framework within group.
- To be fully independent of groups individual functions.
- Establish, implement and embed effective risk management practices and culture throughout the group which enable the organisation to meet its strategic goals.
- Monitor and assess the effectiveness of risk management and internal systems and controls in the firm to enable timely and effective statements to management and the Board.
- To ensure that the data used by the group to assess its risks are fit for purpose in terms of quality, quantity and breadth.
- To provide oversight and validation of the groups external reporting of risk.
- Act as primary liaison officer with Internal Audit to ensure an internal audit plan takes into account all the risks that apply to group.
- Develop effective systems for following up managements actions to implement the outcomes from risk management, compliance and internal audit recommendations.
- To oversee the performance of the Head of Compliance ensuring that the group has adequate regulatory controls to meet its legal and regulatory requirements.
- To act as MLRO ensuring that the group has adequate regulatory and anti-money laundering controls to meet its legal and regulatory requirements.
- Safeguard the independence of the risk management, compliance and financial crime functions in fulfilling their legal and regulatory responsibilities.
- To abide by all financial crime related policies, procedures and reporting obligations applicable to the role.
- To oversee the performance of the Head of Information Security ensuring that the Group has adequate Information Security controls to meet its legal and regulatory requirements.
- To oversee the performance of the Head of Health and Safety ensuring that the Group has adequate health and safety controls to meet its legal and regulatory requirements.
- To oversee the performance of the Head of Operational Risk ensuring the Group has adequate Operational Risk controls to meet it's legal and regulatory requirements
- Contribute to the creation and implementation of the groups Strategic Plans.
- Proven track record of delivering and embedding risk management and corporate governance systems and processes within a regulated environment, ideally into a relatively immature organisation.
- You will have the gravitas and interpersonal skills to quickly build effective relationships within the organisation and gain the respect of the senior management team and the Board.
- In depth technical knowledge and practical experience of risk management methods and FCA regulation and regulatory processes.
- Confident presenter with strong verbal and written communication skills, strong negotiation and influencing skills, calm and diplomatic.
- Strong leadership skills are key, with the ability to inspire and motivate staff from a variety of backgrounds and experience levels and gain the respect of colleagues at all levels of the business
- Builder of positive relationships with a collaborative style used to achieve organisational goals.
Salary range is broad and entirely commensurate with experience but reflects the significance of the role. Package is comprehensive and includes Company car scheme, bonus, healthcare and pension.
In terms of location, the role would be based in their Head office in the North West of England but my client is open to considering individuals throughout the UK given their desire to appoint the best candidate and with them being able to offer a flexible working arrangement due to them having a network of offices throughout the UK.
MERJE have been formally retained to recruit for this role so any CVS sent direct to the client will be forwarded through to MERJE for evaluation.
Please note, should you not receive feedback 28 days, unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. However, we may be in touch with similar relevant opportunities.